July 4, 2011

Liberation Day



Happy Independence Day! It's "Liberation Day" here in Rwanda- The day the Rwandan Patriotic Front moved into Kigali, bringing an end to the genocide of '94. This morning, as I look out from the porch, over the hills, it's hard to believe that 17 years ago- when I was 13 years old, and excited about all things an American teenager is excited about-- this country, this land which I now walk the streets of daily was so gripped with horror, pain, and suffering.



I am thankful for today. I am thankful that in America, we celebrate our freedom- that truly is a blessing. I am thankful for Rwanda, that they have been able to come so far, and move beyond the hurt and devastation that existed here 17 years ago. These people and their raw way of living, have a grip on me...


Yesterday (Sunday) I spent having a more relaxing day. We went to a church service in the morning that was 2+ hours long. :) It was an English speaking church full of people from all over the world. Afterwards, we got lunch then came home and relaxed.

This morning, ABC is closed, so Robin and I are going to go in to do office work. There's LOTS to learn in a short time. This afternoon we are going to do a "home visit" to one of the ladies who is being trained at the center. I am really looking forward to that. Learning about these women, their lives, and what they have been protected from due to God's grace and this training center is what I am most excited about. I can't wait to see how God wants to use me in their lives!

Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Thanks for keeping us posted! I am so thankful that there are people like you in this world to do what some of us would never be brave enough to do! I love you and am SO PROUD to call you my friend!

Raquel said...

Really, Rachel, Liberation Day on our 4th of July? That in itself provokes much thought. I pray that God would show you much of His glory, grace, and peace as you partner with those at ABC. Love and joy! Raquel