November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

It is Thanksgiving Eve... Yes, not exactly a hallmark holiday, but a grand day nonetheless. A day of cooking, baking, and anticipating time with family and friends. I love Thanksgiving due to the emphasis on time together. Following Thanksgiving comes all of the commotion that goes with Christmas. I am choosing to avoid it this year, however. My church is embracing advent conspiracy which totally jazzes me. I am not against showing someone that you care about, or appreciate them through a gift, but I am against a meaningless gift just for the sake of it. 

We have a trading post set up at our church which is selling Fair Trade products from around the world through Trade as One. This is awesome to me! If I am going to spend money, I want it to go somewhere needed. Now, I write this as a hypocrite I realize, because all of the clothes on my body were likely factory produced. But, I am saying that I want to begin to be aware, and make more conscious and sustainable choices. Why not start with Christmas!!!?

No comments: